Grammar & Writing THE PRACTICAL USE OF “IT”
The use of It
1. A lovely day, isn’t it? 2. It was exciting news. 3. It was about ten thirty when they got to the station. 4. My home isn’t far. It’s about 20 minutes’ walk. 5. It is no use regretting what he has done. 6. It makes me sick to think about the matter. 7. People make it a rule to buy Christmas presents for their relatives and friends. 8. The parents will never forget that it was Dr. Li who had saved their child’s life.
1. 今天天气不好。 听，风刮得很大。 今天天气不好。 风刮得很大。
It is not fine today. Listen, it is blowing hard. 2. 现在是冬季。现在刚刚5点，天就快黑了。 现在是冬季。现在刚刚 点 天就快黑了。 It is winter. It is only five now, but it is getting dark. 3. 这离海边不远，步行大概10分钟。 这离海边不远，步行大概 分钟 分钟。 It is not far from the sea. It is about ten minutes’ walk. 4. 我昨天买了一台电脑，是最新型的。 我昨天买了一台电脑，是最新型的。 I bought a computer yesterday. It is the latest model.
5. 婴儿躺在摇篮里，他在哭。 婴儿躺在摇篮里，他在哭。 The baby is lying in the cradle. It is crying. 6. 昨天我发现我的狗不见了，可是下午一个邻居把 昨天我发现我的狗不见了， 它带回来了。 它带回来了。 I found my dog missing yesterday, but a neighbor brought it back in the afternoon. 7. 她进入了决赛 感到很骄傲 她进入了决赛, 感到很骄傲. She entered the final competition, and she was proud of it.
8. 学*英语容易 而学好英语不容易 学*英语容易, 而学好英语不容易. learn it well. 9. 洗衣服用了我一个小时 洗衣服用了我一个小时.
It is easy to learn English, but it is not easy to
It took me an hour to wash the clothes. 10. 你觉得这些问题难回答吗 你觉得这些问题难回答吗? Do you think it difficult to answer these questions? 12. 他们认为在短期内完成这件工作是可能的 . It They consider it possible to finish the work in a short time.
The use of it in U 19 ( 强调句 强调句) 1. The patterns (句型 句型) 句型 It is / was +被强调部分 that 句子其余部分 被强调部分+ 被强调部分 2. The part that can be emphasized (强调部分 强调部分) 强调部分 All parts of speech except the predict. 除谓语之外其他所有句子成分， 除谓语之外其他所有句子成分，通常强调主 语，宾语，状语 宾语，
Practice John wore his best suit to the party last night. a. John （subject) It was John who/that wore his best suit to the party last night. b. Best suit (object) It was his best suit that John wore to the party. c. Last night (adverbial) It was last night that John wore his best suit to the party
1. John went to the party after work with his friends. d. after work (adverbial) It was after work that John went to the party. f. with his friend (adverbial ) It was with is friends that John went to the party. g. to the party (adverbial ) It was to the party that John went with his friend after work.
Hi, my name is Mary. I am thirteen and I am good student. Besides all the subjects, I am good at playing the violin. Luckily enough, my mother can plays it very well, so she taught me when I was four. Later I got a wonderful teacher, who was strict very with me. With the teacher and parent help, now I can play very well. I am thankful to them.
Hi, my name is Mary. I am thirteen and I am good student. Besides all the subjects, I am good at playing the violin. Luckily enough, my mother can plays it very well, so she taught me when I was four. Later I got a wonderful teacher, who was very strict with me. It was with their help that I can play very well now. So I am very thankful to them.
1. Your name, your age, your hobby. 2. The subject you are good at. 3. The hobby or interest or the subject that you do well in. 4. The time that you began to learn it. 5. The people who gave you great help. 6. The place you learned it. 7. The result of your hardworking. It is / was …… that ……
1. Read out in class for the rest to listen. 2. Pick out the sentence with “it is / was …that” and get the student to write on board. 3. Compare sentences on board. 4. Homework.